To reduce the likelihood of damage from spring flooding:
- outside the building, board up basement doors and windows with wood panels and sandbags: sandbags and polyethylene barriers can be excellent ways of preventing water from getting into the house (see How to build a dike with sandbags);
- make sure that downspouts run the water far enough to divert it away from the house;
- you may install a sump pump in your basement and floor drains with a check valve, and make sure that they are in working order;
- never store valuables or important documents in the basement;
- take special precautions to protect electrical, natural gas or propane heaters; and
Prepare your emergency kit.