A building permit is required for the construction of a new principal building or for the renovation of an existing principal building.
A building permit is required for any works where costs before taxes exceed $10,000, including labour and construction materials.
A building permit is required regardless of the costs for the following works:
- Foundation, structural or internal partitions;
- Fire separation, sealing or closing works, components of a sprinkler system, of a fire detection or warning network or any components of a fire separation system, a fire detection or protection system, or a fire control or suppression system, when required under an applicable code;
- Blocking a window or adding a window;
- Replacing exterior cladding material.
A building permit must be issued if the works to be carried out require one. Failure to obtain a building permit can result in significant costs, penalties and other unfortunate consequences.
How to submit a request
- Complete the application form (available in English on request), print it and gather all the required documents.
- Send the completed application form and the documents by email at email@example.com.
You may also submit the application in person at the Planning and Sustainable Development Service Centre serving the area where the property to be demolished is located.
- Payment of applicable fees
Fees are based on the costs of the works to be carried out and must be paid whe submitting the building permit request.
Methods of payment accepted:
For a payment made in person at one of our service centres: credit card, debit card, cheque, cash, bank draft or money order.
Documents to be submitted
- The completed application form signed by the owner or his authorized representative.
- A copy of the certificate of location of the property.
- A copy of the site plan, at the appropriate scale.
- A copy of plans, elevations, section views and architectural, structural, electrical and plumbing drawings, at the appropriate scale.
- An estimate of the costs of the works to be carried out.
- Upon examination of your request, it might be found that a minor variance is necessary. If this occurs, we will inform you and accompany you in this process.
Applicable fees are listed at section 104 of the Urban Planning Administrative Bylaw 501-2005 (only available in French).
Building permit issuance
Special conditions may apply. If this occurs, the Urban Planning and Sustainable Development Department will inform you.
Once the analysis of your request has been completed and all requirements have been met, you or your representative will be invited by phone or email to come and collect your building permit at the Urban Planning and Sustainable Development Service Centre where the request was submitted. The building permit will be issued on condition that all applicable fees have been paid. You can begin works only once the building permit has been issued.
To contact the Urban Planning and Sustainable Development Department:
By phone: 819 243-2345, extension 2335