A certificate of authorization is required for the demolition of any principal building.
The demolition of an accessory building (such as a garage, shed, pergola, etc.) does not require a certificate of authorization.
How to submit a request for a certificate
- Complete the application form (available in English on request), print it and gather all the required documents.
Send the completed application form and the documents by email at
You may also submit the application in person at the Planning and Sustainable Development Service Centre serving the area where the property to be demolished is located.
- Payment of applicable fees
Fees for the demolition of a building are $140 per building. A $1000 security deposit is also required. This security deposit will be refunded when the demolition has been carried out in conformity with applicable planning regulations.
Methods of payment accepted:
For a payment made in person at one of our service centres: credit card, debit card, cheque, cash, bank draft or money order.
Documents to be submitted
- The completed application form signed by the property owner or his authorized representative.
- A copy of the certificate of location of the property.
- Recent pictures of all of the building façades.
- An assessment of the state of the building prepared by an architect, a technician or a structural engineer.
- An estimate of the total costs of the works to be carried out.
Certificate of authorization issuance
Once the analysis of your request has been completed and all requirements have been met, you or your representative will be invited by phone or email to come and collect your certificate at the Urban Planning and Sustainable Development Service Centre where the request was submitted. The certificate of authorization will be issued on condition that all applicable fees have been paid. You can begin works only once the certificate of authorization has been issued.
To contact the Urban Planning and Sustainable Development Department:
By email: email@example.com
By phone: 819 243-2345, extension 2335