What to do once the water has receded
- call in a master electrician before restoring the power. Contact Hydro-Québec at 1-888-385-7252;
- call in a heating specialist before restarting the heating equipment, particularly if the oil tank came in contact with water;
- call in a qualified natural gas technician to inspect your natural gas equipment, and then contact Gazifère to restart the natural gas supply by calling 819-771- 8321 or through www.gazifere.com.
- if you need legal advice related to the flood, contact the Barreau du Québec at Info-Barreau at 1-844-954- 3411 for the coordinates of a volunteer lawyer who can provide information over the phone;
- find out about the government of Quebec's disaster assistance program; and
- call 311 for additional information.
- make sure that your home is structurally sound;
- pay particular attention to any deformations in the walls or floors; and
- watch for holes in the floor, broken glass and other hazardous debris.
Flood waters may be contaminated by sewer water and other pollutants, and may cause sickness and infections.
- If your home got flooded and you have a well, do not drink the water before you have had it analyzed.
- Household items that were damaged by the flood should be discarded in accordance with local by-laws.