Before an accident
- Check to see what is covered under your insurance policy.
- Prepare a list of your goods. If possible, photograph or videotape your belongings.
When an accident occurs
- Contact your insurer to report the damage; the insurer will check your coverage and let you know what to do next.
- Prepare the list of damaged or destroyed goods and, if possible, photograph or videotape them before you dispose of them.
- Take the necessary steps to avoid aggravating the damage, and keep receipts of any expenses incurred in this regard.
- Keep all receipts of expenses incurred for accommodations and food outside your home. Depending on the nature of the accident and your policy, these costs may be reimbursed.
Source: Insurance Bureau of Canada.