It is illegal to connect the catch basin, which captures water from the foundation drains, to the sanitary sewer system. The catch basin must be emptied with a sump pump, which discharges the water into a ditch running along the property and/or at a minimum distance of 1.5 m from the building onto natural soil.
Installation of a sump pump system
Sump pump maintenance
Sump pumps must be regularly checked at least twice a year, in the spring and in the fall, when the clocks are reset:
- adjust the level of the float that activates or interrupts the pump's operation;
- check that the flap valve is working;
- pour water into the catch basin to check whether the pump is working;
- check whether the battery backup is working by disconnecting the pump from the outlet and reconnecting the pump after five minutes of voltage free operation (this should be done at least once a month to keep the battery backup in working order);
- check the condition of the pump support column (metal columns tend to rust and break), and replace it if necessary; and
- check the condition of the discharge pipe.