Free of charge information requests and building permit applications

Any work required on homes hit by the flood is exempt from the fees for building permits and authorization certificates. This measure will enable property owners to save on the non-refundable portion of the fees for permits and certificates under the Government of Quebec's Programme général d'indemnisation et d'aide financière lors de sinistres réels ou imminents.  

However, although the fees are waived, property owners are still required to apply for a building permit and authorization certificate. A building permit is required for any work involving labour and materials costing more than $10,000. A permit is also required, regardless of cost, for work involving the foundation, the structure or the interior walls, increasing the total surface area of the building, the fire separation, the sprinklers, the fire detection and protection systems, covering up or adding a window, replacing cladding materials, and installing drinking water supply systems and wastewater treatment systems (wells and septic tanks).

Step 1

Enter the address of the flooded property into the search engine below. You will obtain the following information about the property:

  • the flood zone in which your property is located (0-20 year, 20-100 year) and the types of work that are and are not permitted;
  • the documents required to apply for a building permit or an authorization certificate (demolition);
  • the type of work that requires approval by the Municipal Council if the property is located within the Jacques-Cartier heritage site, in an neighbourhood integration site, or in a redevelopment site, as well as the documents required to apply for approval;
  • specific requirements where the property is located in a permanent agricultural zone; and
  • the forms for submitting the different applications online.

Step 2.a

Did you find everything you were looking for in Step 1 to prepare your building permit or authorization certificate application? If so, once you have a scanned copy of the required documents, you are ready to apply online.

  • Modifications or repairs to a main building or a rented dwelling or room:
    This is the form to use if you want to renovate, modify or repair a house or a rented dwelling or room, as a result of the 2019 flood.
  • Full or partial demolition of a building
    This is the form to use if you want to demolish all or part of a building as a result of the 2019 flood.

Step 2.b

Set up an appointment online with a representative.

You can also call 819-243-2345, extension 2211 to set up an appointment.

Call 311 if you need additional information about a permit application for a property damaged by the flood. If you have already applied for an appointment or a permit online, provide the case number you were given or the address of the property. An agent will update you on the status of your application.

Step 3

Take the following documents with you to your appointment:

  • a detailed description of the work you want to do;
  • a copy of a certificate of location for the property in question;
  • a copy of a site plan for the property in question;
  • a scale copy of the architectural plans, elevations, section views and specifications for the structure, wiring and plumbing;
  • an estimate for the total cost of the work; and
  • any other report on the property that you have had prepared (e.g., an expert report on the structure).
  • Additional documents that might be requested as your file is being reviewed, such as a minor variance application, in which case you will be notified and guided through that process.

Step 4

The Service de l'urbanisme et du développement durable will review your application. At your appointment, the representative will let you know when you can expect the permit or certificate to be ready for you. Your application will not be processed if any of the documents are missing.

Step 5

Issuance of the permit or certificate.
If you filed your application online, you can track your application through the following link:

If the work requires Municipal Council approval, your building permit will only be issued once the resolution has been passed by the Municipal Council. However, we have set up an accelerated processing system for these applications.

The work must comply with the applicable urban planning by-laws.

Top of page