Social Housing, a Key Priority in Gatineau
In accordance with its housing policy, Gatineau wants to address the objectives associated with this day by ensuring that all Gatineau residents have access to quality housing that is of acceptable size, adapted to their needs, integrated into their environment, safe and affordable.
A program that meets needs
Gatineau has been taking part in the AccèsLogis Québec program run by the Société d'habitation du Québec since 2002. This program helps organizations and cooperatives build affordable homes.
The average cost of housing in Gatineau has been the highest in Quebec for about ten years, which is why it is important to meet the needs of low and moderate income households.
Affordable housing for individuals, families, seniors losing their autonomy, and people with reduced mobility is intended to meet to:
- promote empowerment;
- foster social mixing;
- breathe new life into neighbourhoods;
- provide energy-efficient buildings;
- develop vacant lots;
- help recycle buildings;
- stimulate the local economy through millions of dollars' worth of investments; and
- make an essential contribution to the vitality of the urban sector.
A few statistics on social housing in Gatineau
- Since 2002, more than 1,000 affordable housing units have been built in Gatineau.
- Between 2006 and 2009, Gatineau provided $11,803,000 in financial assistance for the construction of 706 social and affordable housing units. The result is 396 units completed, an additional 200 under construction and 110 more to begin in the fall of 2011.
- Between 2010 and 2013, 700 additional affordable housing units are expected to be built, depending on the government of Quebec's financial contribution. The financial assistance provided by Gatineau for these units will come to $12,600,000, of which $3,152,000 will be allocated in 2011.
Examples of projects in our neighbourhoods
Searching for an affordable and accessible home?
- Office d'habitation de l'Outaouais
649 boulevard de la Gappe
- Confédération québécoise des coopératives d'habitation (CQCH-Outaouais)
178 boulevard Gréber, local 106
- Regroupement des OSBL d'habitation et d'hébergement avec support communautaire en Outaouais (ROHSCO)
28 rue Caron
- Regroupement des associations de personnes handicapées de l'Outaouais