Gatineau is deferring the deadline for the second instalment of annual property taxes from June 30, 2020 to August 31, 2020 in order to give property owners a break and a chance to adjust to the financial upheaval of the COVID-19 crisis*.
Tax bills issued by Gatineau indicating due dates after March 31, 2020 are due August 31, 2020.
This measure applies to individuals and businesses alike.
* For properties located in the areas affected by the 2019 floods (by-law 845-1-2019), 50% of the second instalment for 2019 is also deferred to August 31, 2020.
What should you do if you have already made arrangements for your payment?
- If you have already arranged for payment through your bank: change the payment date on your financial institution's Web site or on its mobile app.
- If you sent us one or more post-dated cheques: post-dated cheques dated between June 15 and 30, 2020 will be deposited on August 31, 2020. If you do not wish to defer your payment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 819-243-2400, before June 1, 2020.
All other post-dated cheques will be deposited on the date indicated on the cheque unless otherwise requested by the property owner by email to email@example.com or by calling 819-243‑2400, at least five days before the date on the cheque.
- If you are paying your taxes through pre-authorized payments: if you opted for pre-authorized payments on the due dates, the June 30, 2020 payment will be debited on August 31, 2020.
If you opted for pre-authorized payments in several instalments with interest, we will debit your account as agreed and adjust your interest and penalties when calculating next year's payments.
- If your taxes are paid by your mortgage holder: your second instalment will be paid on August 31, 2020.
Property tax payments in times of crisis
In order to limit the propagation of the virus, the following payment methods should be used:
- Online or by phone through your financial institution: the reference number for online payments is your seven-digit account number indicated at the top right-hand corner of your bill and on each instalment stub.
- Payment in person is not an option given that all municipal service counters are closed.