Tax payment deferral
In an effort to once again give property owners some breathing room as they struggle to deal with the financial impact of COVID-19, Gatineau is deferring the 2021 municipal tax payment deadlines. The February 3 and June 30 deadlines are deferred to April 6 and August 31, 2021.
Any supplementary tax bills that have already been issued as due after January 19, 2021 must be paid by April 6, 2021.
This measure does not apply to previous deadlines. Outstanding amounts will still be subject to late fees.
This measure applies to both individuals and businesses.
What if you have already arranged for pre-authorized payments?
- If you have arranged with your financial institution for pre-authorized payments and would like to defer them: change the payment date on your financial institution's Web site or mobile app.
- If you have sent us one or more post-dated cheques:
- ll cheques post-dated February 3 and received by us before January 27 will be deposited on April 6, 2021.
- All cheques post-dated June 30 and received by us before June 15 will be deposited on August 31, 2021.
- If you do not wish to have your deposits deferred, please let us know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 819-243-2400, before January 27, 2021 for the February 3 payment and before June 15, 2021 for the June 30 payment.
- All other post-dated cheques will be deposited on the date marked on the cheque unless otherwise indicated by the property owner by e-mail to email@example.com or by phone call to 819-243‑2400 at least five days before the date marked on the cheque.
- If you use pre-authorized withdrawals to pay your taxes: if you have pre-authorized withdrawals scheduled for February 3 and June 30, the withdrawals will be deferred to April 6 and August 31, 2021.
- If you chose pre-authorized payments in instalments with interest, we will withdraw the payments as arranged and adjust the interest and penalties in the calculation of your amounts due for 2022.
- If your taxes are paid by your mortgagee: if your taxes are paid by your mortgagee, your payments will be made on the originally set dates.
Municipal tax payment options
The following payment options are designed to limit the propagation of the virus:
- online or by phone through your financial institution: the reference number for online payments is your seven-digit file number, which is indicated in the top right corner of you bill and on each payment stub.
- by cheque mailed to:
Ville de Gatineau
PO BOX 757, STN Hull
Gatineau QC J8P 6J3
The following options are also available for paying your municipal tax bills:
- automatic withdrawals by Ville de Gatineau, for which you must fill out a request for pre-authorized payment;
- payment through a caisse populaire, chartered bank or savings bank teller or ATM;
- payment at a municipal service centre desk during their respective business hours; or
- cheque or money order drop-off, along the tax bill stub, at any municipal service centre.
Click here for the municipal service centre locations and business hours.